Memo from "Microsoft's Production Configurable Cloud".
By Mark Russinovich, CTO MS Azure.
How much trials were required to bring FPGA usable in production?
- Two generations were not usable for production. (v0, v1)
- 3rd generation, Catapult V2, was used in production.
- Catapult V2 : All traffic go through FPGA. (40Gbps QSFP)
- Slide 21:
Use cases which might be able to apply in private cloud
Accelerated Networking: bypass virtual switch by offloading to Intelligent NIC.
- So called "VFP: Virtual Filtering Platform"
- Flow based policy (match / action) (ex: sending to )
- Load Balancing (IP NAT, MAC re-write)
- Filtering, ACL
- Tenant VM plumbing (VNet Policy Routing)
- Tunnel termination (encap/decap)
- Slide 17:
Reduce CPU to CPU (=~VM to VM) latency under 20us for 12 hops!!
- Using LTL: Lightweight Transport Layer.
- But could be considered as an approach to reduce latency. (i.e. offload TCP to Intelligent NIC)
- Slide 33: